Search this blog

Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

On Dying to self and welcoming Christ: more thoughts


“Anyone who does not welcome the kingdom
of God like a little child will not enter it.” –Mark 10:35


“Welcome” is the word that troubles me in this passage. For me, it creates an image of the kingdom of God coming to us, coming for us, and what matters most is not was how prepared we are, but how we receive it. Will we let go of all that we cling to so that we can open our hands and receive it, or will we (like the rich man) go away sad because we have a great many possessions and letting go can be very hard.
Before I go any further, I want to say that I owe this meditation to a friend who commented on my last post (on dying and Lent). She reminded me that dying to our identity can be particularly hard when that identity is a false one that we have chosen for our self. We can become so wrapped up in our chosen identity that we might refuse to let it go.  Her kind note inspired me to go back to Mark’s gospel and reread the story of the rich young man, partly as a way to engage in a conversation with her, but partly to see if there was something I had missed. And as I did, my eyes strayed and I noticed something interesting; something I had missed. I noticed the ending of the seemingly unrelated story just before it (about the disciples trying to stop some apparently unsupervised children from coming to Jesus). It ends with this:
“Anyone who does not welcome the kingdom
of God like a little child will not enter it.”
Seeing that, I realized: These two stories are together for a reason.  Like most readers, I tend to accept that the stories in the Gospels are structured basically in a chronological order to tell a story from beginning to end as best they can.  I don’t tend to think of the author(s) trying to construct their narrative in a thematic or pedagogical style. And so, when things like this happen, I assume that is a sign of God’s authorship.  God wanted to say something that required these stories to be next to each other and so through fallible memory or through happenstance or through inspiration, the earthly author has divined a profound lesson by placing these unrelated tales next to each other.  Separately they are interesting vignettes from the life of Christ, together they become a profound lesson about the kingdom of God.
Let me move backward, as my eye did when it strayed; starting with the rich man, who is called the “rich young man” in Matthew’s version of the story. This man (young or not) comes to Jesus to ask how he can inherit eternal life.  After a brief discussion of the law, Jesus adds this:
“You lack one thing. Go and sell what you have,
give to the poor; you will have treasure in Heaven;
then come and follow me.” (Mk 10:21)
“Follow me…” Jesus is inviting the man to join Him, to –right then and there—enter into the kingdom of God, but we are told that instead the man “went away sad.” It was overwhelming to him, I would assume. The Lord was asking too much, it must have seemed.  Or the man simply lacked the faith.  We don’t know. Nor do we know if he later reconsidered and did as the Lord told him.  All we know is that he went away sad, “for he had many possessions.”
            And we can argue over what he should have done, or what we might have done in the man’s place, but what we have in that previous story is the answer; he should have welcomed the kingdom of God like a child –openly, freely, eagerly!
            Interestingly enough, at the very end of this chapter that is the image we are given.  Mark 10 ends with the story of a blind man named Bartimaeus.  Read it.  This blind man learns that Jesus is near and begins calling out to Him. As with the children at the beginning of this chapter, the disciples try to manage this scene. In fact, they rebuke the man for yelling.  But the man keeps on, and Jesus calls him over.  And when Jesus does, he throws off his cloak and springs up eager to meet the Lord –not unlike a child when Grandma comes for a visit, or they find out there’s no school.  But even more interesting is this: as soon as his sight is restored, the man “immediately” begins to follow Christ.  He gives up all he has in the world, his little piece of security –the place and the people he knows—and follows Jesus. Immediately. Like a child.
            Reading the Bible has opened my eyes to the beauty of God’s word, but again and again and more importantly it has opened my heart to the truth of it. 
            Too often when I seek something out, seek some sacrifice or some holiness even, I find myself rejecting it as soon as it arrives. This Lent was a bit like that. I had good intentions, but… overwhelmed, I turned away and often grew sad. But, it isn’t over yet. There is still time to make a good Lent.  In fact, there is still time to welcome it –like a child.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment