Search this blog

Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Rise up in Splendor O Jerusalem -some thoughts on the Epiphany



“Rise up in splendor, Jerusalem! Your light has come,
the glory of the Lord shines upon you. See, darkness
covers the earth, and thick clouds cover the peoples; but
upon you the Lord shines… Nations shall walk by your
light… raise your eyes and look about; they all gather
and come to you…”   Isaiah 60:1-6

Rise up in splendor, O Jerusalem!  Darkness covers the earth, thick clouds blind the people. They need a great light.  Rise up in splendor, Jerusalem.  Be that light.  Become that light. Raise your eyes and look about… the world walks in darkness.  The world hungers for light.
Rise up in splendor, O Jerusalem.  The world walks in darkness and you are being called; become the light.
 How often does God put us in a dark place and ask us to be His light? My guess is it happens every day. My guess is it happens several times every day. My guess is –it never stops. But how often do we let ourselves shine?  For many of us, perhaps every single person who has ever lived, all we ever really dream of is a chance to shine; a chance to light the earth; for the people around us to see that indeed we do shine.
As a child I longed to be famous, to be glorious, to be recognized, to be chased by hundreds of beautiful girls down a London street –like the Beatles in Hard Day’s Night. That was my vision of success, of becoming a star! Of truly shining bright.  Who could question that the Beatles were stars?  But the tennis racket I strummed never got properly tuned, and luckily the broomstick I sang into never amplified my wandering vocals, and I never became a singing star (despite what I told my 4th grade teacher). And because I never got famous, I suspected I was –instead—a failure. It was, for me, a dichotomy I couldn’t escape. I was either John Lennon, David Bowie, or Bobby Sherman, or I was a failure. (In college the dream became more literary; then it became: I was either Faulkner, Joyce and Williams or I was a failure.) But there was no middle ground. And thinking that I had tried, only made my failure worse –because then the failure seemed more real. I tried. I tried to shine, and no one noticed. No girls chased me to the train station. No Nobel committee member called me to congratulate me on my prize. Therefore, I was a failure. My light (if I even had one) was so dim, so dull no one noticed.
But is that true? And even if it were, does that matter?  God calls each one of us to Rise up in splendor. He calls us to rise up in splendor each day.  He calls us to rise up in splendor each moment of each day.  Because the world is in darkness. There is a thick cloud that covers the people.  And they need a light, even a small one.
What if you knew the light you were called to shine today was only going to be seen by one person? And they would see it, but not be sure exactly what they had seen, only that it was a light and for a moment it gave them hope, it gave them consolation, and it gave them a glimpse of something –a sign that someone else was out there. They weren’t alone.  And what if that was it?  You were going to shine a light and maybe one person would see it, and no one else would notice? You would never be the “star” you dreamed of being, but you could give one person hope; would you count that a success? And what if that one person --because of your light-- began to shine a little more, and she lit the way for 2 or 3 others –no big crowds, no Madison Square Garden, no red carpets or Transco Tower search beacons, just a small group of people who each begin to rise up and shine a little more because they saw something –a light in the darkness—that gave them hope.  Would that be enough? Would you still think yourself a failure? What if you stopped tuning that tennis racket and instead took a match to it? And then raised it high!
Rise up O Jerusalem; rise up in splendor. Rise and shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment